We want to see vibrant communitioes among the least reached, both in Sweden, Europe and to the ends of the world.
Ministry opportunities in Sweden
Sweden is known as one of the most secularized country in the world, yet Swedish people have served with OM since the late 60’s.
The role of religion in the country has changed in recent decades as the influence of postmodernism, globalization and world religions have had an impact on society during the past 50 years.
Sweden has one of the largest proportions of immigrants in Europe; almost 15 percent of the population of 9.8 million people. Many ministry opportunities are available, as increased immigration has contributed to the growth of Islam and other religions in the country.
OM Sweden has an ongoing ministry that reaches out to immigrant youth, as well as church planting teams in areas with high immigrant populations. OM Sweden also has a unique ministry among Somalis, reaching out to Somalis in and outside Sweden, as well as equipping and empowering Somali believers.
Today, most Swedes have very little knowledge of religion, though many claim to believe in a 'higher power'. Church attendance is declining and Christians are being marginalized. If this trend continues, the last evangelical church in Sweden will close down at the beginning of 2050.
OM Sweden works together with churches and denominations to motivate, equip and send people locally and overseas to share the Gospel. We also receive international workers in order to equip them for ministry in Sweden and beyond.
We are currently ministering through:
Mobilizing and Operations
- Resourcing office – Team with administration, personnel, training, recruiting, finance and communication from where our resourcing work for local and global missions is led. Based in Jönköping.
- Presentation and equipping team – Team members regularly travel to churches, Bible schools and conferences to motivate for missions and equip people to engage the world to share the good news.
Missions in Sweden
- Church planting ministry - In partnership with local churches and denominations we have teams serving with evangelism, discipleship and church planting in areas with high immigrant populations in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Nyköping, Jönköping and Skellefteå. We also seek to place a team in Malmö in 2018.
- Somali ministries – An unique ministry team is reaching out through social media, conferences and individual meetings to the growing Somali community in Sweden, Europe and beyond, with the aim to see vibrant communities among them.
- New Age Outreach – Outreach through creative means to engage and share the good news with the New Age community in Sweden and beyond.
How you can get involved:
- Pray for the youth of Sweden. Most are thoroughly secularized and ignorant of biblical truth. Pray for more workers to make disciples among them.
- Pray for the growing immigrant community, for them to be well integrated into Swedish society as well as getting to know Christ as their Saviour.
- Pray for Swedish churches to rise up and be the Light of the World.
- GIVE — Give here (http://www.omsverige.se/ge/jag-vill-ge) to help support the work of OM in Sweden.
- GO — See the job opportunities listed at http://www.om.org/en/opportunities. Contact us at: email@example.com or visit our website: www.omsverige.se.
More information about Sweden
- Population: 10 million (2018)
- Official language: Swedish
- State of economy: Member of the European Union since 1995. Stable economy with an almost constantly growing GDP rate since World War II.
- Religious make-up: Protestants 40%, other Christians 9%, non-religious 38%, Atheist 13%, Muslims 3% (2010)
- State of the church: A recent survey (2014) indicates that only 8% of Swedes attend any religious service regularly. 66% of the population are still members of the (former state) Church of Sweden; however, only 20% of their church leaders consider themselves believers. Under 7% are members of an evangelical church. There is a growing awareness among the major evangelical denominations of the need to see new churches planted, and a number of church plants going on in the major cities.